Friday, January 15, 2010

DON'T scare me like that!

This week began and ended with doctor's appointments! On Monday, Tony and I went to see the plastic surgeon. He answered some questions for me, and he went over what to expect during the surgery. He also measured me for the 'expanders'! they will put in to help stretch my skin for implants. Oh my gosh, I cannot tell you how relieved I was to see them! They looked almost identical to what the implants look like! HECK - in my mind the EXPANDERS were maybe HUGE or I dunno - covered in barb wire, who knows!!? : ) Dumb.

So - there we all sat in the doctors office - the little assistant girl, the doctor, Tony and me (my upper half pretty much just OUT there). Nice. All of us sitting there chatting as if this is how normal people talk!! : ) Sure, sure, normal half naked people maybe! I really like the assistant - although I believe she might be a little evil in real life (mainly because she takes "before" pictures of you before you even have time to refuse)! Nooooo, not really - she is actually just sweet as a bug - and cute as a bug! She's a bug alright? pfffft.

On Friday, while I was in seeing our family doctor, a voicemail was left on my cell from one of my surgeons' office. The normally perky voice on the message - this time - not so much. So, I called her back as fast as my fingers could dial, and she said that my doctor would be...um...'out of the country' after this weekend and would be unable to perform the surgery. Um - Whaaaaaa??? But - I knew immediately that my surgeon was headed for Haiti to help - dang Haiti, dang altruism. I told her I understood - but that I wanted to get this thing done and over. She said she knew that I would say that, so she was already looking for another surgeon, and she would let me know what she found out. Within - I bet it was not 15 mintues - she called back and said that one of the partners she had spoken with, would be "honored" to do the surgery. Welt, that's a sweet way to say that. She says he is amazing. I know some people wouldn't even THINK of switching surgeons at this late of a date - but they sure are telling me that we are 'blessed' (which btw - I AM from the moment I open my eyes in the morning!) : ) to have this surgeon!! You know what I am mainly scared of right now? Having to tell the office of thoughtful people I work with, that I would like to reschedule the 'Going Away' party one more time for another dr's appointment!! Oh my goodness -they are gonna smack me. But - she said the only time he could see me is on Tuesday morning at 11:30 - and he reeeeally wants to meet me before the surgery! (outstretched hand) "Hi, I'm Michelle, these are my breasts."

So the day approaches. Tuesday, I will meet with the surgeon. Thursday, the final mark-out, and then the big show on Friday (of which I will be the main attraction, and hopefully will be chock full of good anesthesia and won't even know is going on!!). Not too nervous yet. The phone call got my heart racing - but that's good for me!

Two funny things I want to remember - -

- Heard my husband told his friend that we couldn't get together on Saturday because it was his "last weekend with the girls". Funny!! and sort of sad.

- This poem from Dr. Suess...

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind.
Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!"

...or was it Dre?

2 comments:

Patwoman said...

Wait... Normal people don't sit around half naked with their doctors and assistants? Well, I'm just gonna have to have a talk with that dentist of mine!

We will do the pitch in when you are back, don't worry!

Michael said...

One thing to remember is that while it's great to be strong for everyone around you, it's okay to let people know when you are feeling the opposite. When I had a bad time, everyone was so nice and concerned, I didn't want them to worry about me too much, so I always reassured them I was fine. The problem was, sometimes I wasn't fine, and I should have said that more. Also, for a while you feel like this situation defines you, is all people want to talk about, and you'll wish you could just get back to being Michelle and everyone forget about the surgery. Remind your friends to just joke and laugh and share their news with you. It makes you feel like things are really okay when people go back to dumping their problems on you and treating you like they always have. Lot of love out here being sent your way! We're thinking about you every step of the way. : )