Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Welcome to my nightmare....I mean Blog! : )

Welcome to ANY one reading this blog ('course, I will feel funny if no one ever stops by to read this, huh?) : )


Well, at any rate - ever since I got the news about my second cancer - I started thinking about starting a blog - mainly I wanted my friends to be able to check in on me from time to time, whenever they wanted - and we could still feel connected. I am hoping that this will also prove to be somewhat therapeutic for me - although right now the only therapy I feel like I need is anger management!! (Did I mention I am kind of cranky right now?)


As I am writing along, I will try not to be too graphic - but - don't always count on it. I am going to try to tell you honestly what is happening to me- the good, the bad AND the ugly (sounds like me in the morning!). But now listen, there will be boob talk - so if you are offended by boobs or the talk of boobs - this may not be the place for you. Let's all say it together - BOOBS BOOBS BOOBS BOOBS BOOBS! There see - did the word lose all meaning for you? Nope. I know, me neither.


I guess I should start at the beginning (I promise, all my updates won't be this long - but I feel like we should have some back story). OK

In July of 2006 I found a lump in my left breast - well you know very good - n - well, it was cancer! Invasive Ductal Carcinoma - Stage II - III, Triple Negative (if you are a cancer geek - you think I rock right now!!) : ) So, I had a lumpectomy, the dreaded chemo (which was horrible, but not impossible), and radiation (the gift that keeps on giving - remind me to tell you why later).

So there I was, in my third year from the first instance - walking around thinking that I am pretty amazing and that in only two more years I will hit the big five years AC (after cancer), without a reoccurence and then I am all set!! The third year is a big year see - apparently thats the year you are at your highest chance for it to return (although, one of my surgeons, bless his heart, said this tumor would not be considered a re-occurence, but a NEW occurence, since it's in a new place. Coulda smacked him). And return it did. This time in the right breast, but exactly the same kind. The only thing I don't know if it is hormone positive this time - but I wouldn't think so, since all the other stats are exactly the same as the first lump.

Well, when Dr Lefranc, my favorite wonderful breast doctor (who knows, she might read this - I gotta suck up a little), called me to the office - I didn't think for a second it was to celebrate any good news - but as always she was amazing. I pretty much immediately told her the girls had to go!! She said that my thinking was completely appropriate, and makes all sorts of sense, as my body just "loves to make those cancers"! Nice - some peoples' bodies make them money. Mine? Cancers. Lovely.

So that's how we got to where we are now. January 22nd, I say my final goodbyes to the girls as I know them. Starting at 6am on that Friday, Dr Summer will come in and do the bi-lateral (meaning both will be involved) mastectomy, and immediately following, Dr Lai - (the plastic surgeon who I cannot understand to save my life) - will come in and put in the 'expanders' and the pain pump. Yay pain pump!

The implants come later - or at least I think that's what he said - who knows. But they stretch the skin, and add some skin, and stretch the skin and soon - they can put the implants in! Implants are still an iffy thing though, as the skin on my left breast has had radiation, and the tissue has broken down, along with the skin (although Dr Lai says I still have pretty good skin on that side - so that's cool - but we'll see). Implants are a ways down the road though, AND it seems like we are talking about step 14, and I am still working on getting thru step 2!

So there you have it. I go for lab work on January 11th (I am taking Tony Martin this time, since I can barely remember my name these days), on the 21st they "mark me out" which I think sounds kind of violent, and an unfortunate name for marking on my body where they need to cut - n - stuff, and then on the 22nd is the big show!!

Please please feel free to email me, or call, or text - or send frickin smoke signals - I don't care! I love you all, and will take every positive thought or prayer that you might have to give!

- M

11 comments:

Jessica Marlene said...

Michelle- What a journey! And yet you're still one of the funniest ladies I know. Your sister being the other. Haha. I admire your bravery and strength. You will definitely be in my thoughts throughout the rest of this journey and I hope this will be the last of the cancer. I'll look forward to new posts on your blog! I love the name ;)

Much love,
Jess

Unknown said...

(posting this under my dear husband's Google alias, but this is the one and only Linda Jr. (Rabadi Fair)).

Dearest Michelle (aka my favorite spunky redhead):

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I think about you often, and was heartbroken to hear about round two. But as always, you are approaching this with the same amazing humor, bravery and honesty as you do everything else in your life, which is what makes you such a rare and wonderful person. It's because of this that I know everything will be ok.

I'm looking forward to reading your blog often, and staying up to date on all things Michelle. I miss you very much, and can't wait to see you the next time I swing by Indiana (we're totally doing a KS ladies night by the way, so start getting ready).

Love, Linda

Unknown said...

Hey Michelle - this is LR Senior... The older one!! :)

My thoughts, prayers and heart are with you. I'm again amazed at your ability to make all of us smile when you feel like cryin'. Thank you for sharing your journey - and I'll continue to stay abreast (like that word??) of the blogspot.

Let's all say it together - "goodbye to those Boobs-Boobs-Boobs!" I love you Pookie - I'm sending you my love. Talk to you soon. Linda Sr.

rbell said...

I'm glad you started this blog. I want to hear everything going on. I'll be thinking about you and praying for you. January 22nd is a lucky day, that was Carla's birthday, so she will be looking out for you!

Love,
Rhonda

Unknown said...

Mic,

I just want everyone to keep up the talk about boobs. So don't stop that part of the process what ever you do on this blog. And I'm going to have to throw in a Poor Tony Martin.... But I say anybody in love as much as you two, will have to spend about another 40 years together. So put that in your boob and squeeze it for me. But Don't tell Tony.....{grin}

AlexSloane said...

Hey, lady!!

I just wanted to say that I love your face. 'Cause we have the same one!

I love you!

Unknown said...

My dear friend...my heart ached when I read that you are going through it again. You are one tough cookie... and your sense of humor alone can get you through this! As much as I have envied "the girls" over the years, I am glad you decided to say good-bye to them! I hate that they are giving you so much trouble. As I tell Tommy all the time, boobs are over-rated anyway!
Love you and will be praying for you through this next chapter! Thank you for sharing with me. I send a great big hug to you! love you.

Patwoman said...

I will be praying for you, M.

(I have to say I like you blog, too. 1. Your writing "voice" sounds just like you and that makes me smile. 2. You said boobs about a hundred times! Ha!)

Me, you know, the one with the bad boobs said...

I love my friends!! Each and every one makes me smile and laugh right out loud! This is what gives strength - love and laughter! : )

Anonymous said...

Hey there...just logged on and read your blog. Did not know this was happening. If you need some hair in the future you know who to call!! Love ya much and in my thoughts.

Alan

Michael said...

We've talked about this on Facebook, but I just wanted to say that I'm going to be around (after a bit of an absence) for you from here on out and especially while you go through all this. I think that the thing to celebrate is that you are going to be with us all a long, long time, and that's what's important. There's no more honest, loyal, funny, and giving friend than you!